8.6.17

TOP 5 TIPS TO MAKING IT IN HOLLYWOOD





Helloooo Beautiful People! Hope everyone is having the best day ever!!

Before I dive into the topic, I know you're probably curious as to how I know anything about 'making it in Hollywood'. The truth is, I am not famous, I don't have a ton of money, nor do I live in Hollywood. BUT- before you stop reading, I DO have a lot of experience working in the entertainment industry.

I have performed work as a stand-in, photo double, extra, featured player, and supporting actress in many different TV shows and movies such as The Big Bang Theory, The Goldbergs, The Real O'Neals, Gilmore Girls: Revival, Forever Boys (Disney pilot),  Blood and Oil, The Fosters, Code Black, The Middle, Speechless, NCIS, etc etc. I have been SO fortunate to be a part of those productions and more, and have had SO much fun doing it.

That being said, these are just tips that I have found to be helpful in getting picked for roles. Also if you have ANY questions about the work I've done on those shows or anything that you want to know about what it's like working on set or with those actors, I would love to answer them <3

Alright, moving on.


5 - SAY YES.  If you only want to play a certain part, you are going to have very limited opportunities. If you only accept roles for the cheerleader or the 'hot mom', you are crippling yourself as an actor/actress. Basically what I'm saying, but in a nicer way is, 'You get what you get and you don't throw a fit'. Unless you are truly uncomfortable with a part, such as nudity (which yes, there is a LOT of in Hollywood), and I won't do, just enjoy the part you're offered.

Another part of this tip is a quote from Richard Branson: "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes- then learn how to do it later".

This couldn't be a better quote for making it in Hollywood. If they ask if you can juggle, say yes, and learn how to do it before your next audition. This can go for just about anything. Keep this in mind.

And yes it happens regularly in Hollywood. Take risks. Be brave. You have nothing to loose.


4 - Know what fits you.  I know I just said to take risks and do what you may not be entirely comfortable with, and that still rings true. However, knowing what fits you is also a huge part of making it in the industry.

Hollywood is a superficial place. Acting is superficial as well. It IS about looks, a HUGE part of getting a part is about how you look. Sorry, but it's true. The good news is that Hollywood needs ALL sorts of looks so it truly doesn't matter because they will still need you but it will probably be for a stereotypical role.

Me, I'm twenty-one, almost twenty-two, and I look like a very naive, innocent, sixteen-year-old. The parts I book the most are roles called '18 to look younger'. In a nutshell, casting departments prefer not to book minors. It's a long story involving SAG (Screen Actors Guild) rules pertaining to child labor laws. Even though acting may not seem like an intense job, it is still considered child labor and minors cannot work for long hours. Anyways, primarily, I book high school roles and especially prep school or Catholic school roles.

Would it be fun to book something other than naive, innocent, high school roles? Of course, and sometimes I do, but I know what parts fit me and where I will get the most success.


3 - Learn new skills. Take acting classes, learn random skills like skateboarding, singing, speaking a new language, surfing, etc etc. This might sound silly and small but I promise you this is a HUGE tip. The more skills you have, that casting departments are looking for, the smaller the pool of actors becomes.

For example, as I said earlier, I look young, I play guitar and I sing. So when I see an audition for someone who is '18 to look younger who can play guitar and sing', I JUMP on it. That is how I booked The Fosters, as well as the Disney pilot Forever Boys. The pool of actors is smaller when they have a list of skills they need the actor to possess. If it had solely said '18 to look younger', there are probably close to a million actors who fit that bill. It gets cut with each skill they add.

Anything that you can do is a bonus. Even hobbies or activities that seem small to you, can land you a huge part.


2 - Be confident. I know this sounds cliche, but again, this is huge. If you aren't confident, at least pretend, because this is so important and especially in auditions.

Another tip that coincides with this is 'never apologize'. You will hear this in Hollywood and in the entertainment industry all. the. time. If you go into an audition and say 'sorry, I'm not as prepared as I should be', or 'sorry, I'm just getting over a cold', that is a huge DON'T.

Go into an audition and own it. If the casting directors ask you to sing, you sing, if they ask you to dance, you dance, even if you suck at it. That shows the casting directors not only that you are willing to do what they ask of you, but it also shows that you are confident and can have fun with it. Even if you aren't good at what they ask you to do, it is SO important to do it anyway and don't make excuses.


1- Stay positive. Being entirely honest, I HATE this tip, I do. But again, it is so important. I hate it because it's hard for me to remember. When I've been standing outside in 10-degree weather for thirteen hours in high heels, I want to SCREAM. I want to throw a huge fit, but you have to enjoy the experience.

There are so many people who would love to be in your place, acting, (not standing outside in cold weather), and not to mention, the crew is watching. Directors, PA's (production assistants), etc, they pay attention to you and you do not want to be seen as the person complaining, it only makes you look bad.

Another thing that is so important to remember, if you have to complain, don't just complain to anyone. Please please please, pay attention to this.

The acting world is small. Everyone knows everyone. If you are complaining to the Grip (Camera help), he/she could be the director's cousin. Seriously. If you are complaining to the 2nd AD (2nd Assistant Director), they could be the director of the next movie you audition for. No, I'm not exaggerating. You will work with the same crew repeatedly, and you could ruin your career in Hollywood before it even begins by complaining or being disrespectful, and especially to the wrong people.

----

The entertainment industry is so much fun. I've had the time of my life in California and Utah, acting on these incredible projects. I've met so many amazing people and seen so many amazing things. It is not as glamorous as it appears and sometimes it is VERY hard work (I will make a post about this in the future), but if this is what you want to do. Do it! You can do anything you put your mind to. Best of luck!

*I know this is a blunt and honest, maybe a little harsh, of an article, but these are SO important and I cannot stress that enough. If becoming an actor is something that you are serious about, these are key to keep in mind.

** I am not an expert, this is my experience from working in the film industry and on numerous sets. I'm sure there are plenty of other actors who have had different experiences and will give different tips, these are just from my own experience. I'm not trying to start any debates or arguments about this.

*** I know this was a little all over the place but I've had so many questions about this and I really wanted to get it posted and out there. But if you have ANY more questions. I would love to answer them! Please DM me or email me or comment below! Thanks! Love you all xoxo

2 comments:

  1. These are so true. Great post!

    check out reellifeacting.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I read half and am going to have my fiancée check this out. We live an hour and a half north of LA and this could definitely be something both of us could strive to be part of.

    ReplyDelete